5 key innovations in InterBase XE (InterBase 2010).
The new version of the DBMS InterBase XE was released in September 2010. It is also popularly named as InterBase 2010, probably by analogy with the previous server edition InterBase 2009.
This review includes:
Key changes in InterBase XE (InterBase 2010)
The new development of American programmers has 5 main distinctions from the previous version DBMS InterBase 2009:
- InterBase 2010 finally has a 64-bit architecture, which allowed substantial increase in the volumes of content-addressed memory. This allows to overcome size limitations for tables and processed data.
- The new option of calling Dynamic SQL functions in stored procedures and triggers.
- Possibility of working in cloud computing environment allows fast preparation of the systems, as well as increase and reduction of capacity according to the company’s needs.
- Data security. The program supports passwords up to 32 bites and uses the SHA-1 cryptographic hashing algorithm, which is an important argument in software interaction, e.g. with payment systems.
- Work in a cloud. The DBMS InterBase 2010 is deployed in cloud computing environment, which allows the application to obtain instant access to resources.
Driver for working with InterBase XE
Notwithstanding the fact that the new version InterBase XE appeared on the market comparatively recently, you can already take advantage of it. The recent versions of IBProvider Professional support all InterBase XE datatypes and software integration requires minimum efforts from the administrator (IBProvider can automatically adjust to a particular database and doesn’t require diligent "manual work" like its counterparts).
Available editions of InterBase XE
The DBMS is available in four editions:
- InterBase XE Server Edition is suitable for multithreaded systems and can be scaled to 64 processors.
- InterBase XE Desktop Edition was developed for single-user applications. This is the most cost-efficient choice.
- InterBase XE Developer Edition is included to the package Embarcadero RAD Studio XE that also includes Delphi XE, C++Builder XE, Delphi Prism XE and RadPHP XE.
- InterBase XE To Go Edition doesn’t require server end installation, the edition is fully embeddable to user application. It is perfectly suited for being operated on mobile devices.
Advantages of InterBase XE (InterBase 2010)
The symbols XE added by the developer to the already "promoted" DBMS name has their interpretation. The character X in this abbreviation means heterogeneity of the platform, the character E symbolizes the possibility of any product edition to be used within the framework of purchased Embarcadero license.
In addition to the above listed innovations of InterBase 2010 (XE), the DBMS retains its traditional advantages:
- the lower cost of DBMS ownership;
- self-adjusting program kernel;
- high fault-tolerance, which (together with the function of automatic recovery in case of computer failure), minimizes the risk of data lost.
Start of work with InterBase XE (InterBase 2010)
If you are a beginner, you can also study beginners’ guide for working with InterBase.
Author: Andrew A. Merkulov