Final release of «Native OLE DB Provider for Firebird v4»
We are very pleased to announce the release of final IBProvider v5.32 with support for Firebird v4.
Some of our users have already appreciated our work and started using IBProvider with FB4, including as a linked MSSQL server.
We are grateful to everyone who helped us.
Special thanks to Marek D., who initiated this process.
General overview of FB4 support in IBProvider
- The direct connection and connection through fbclient.dll are supported
- The 63-symbols object names are supported
- Provider supports the following new datatypes (including arrays):
- NUMERIC on INT128 base
- TIMESTAMP WITH TIME ZONE
- TIME WITH TIME ZONE
- Provider supports two mode for processing time zones:
- Through own algorithms
- Through external library (ICU)
- The support of the following queries was implemented:
- SET DECFLOAT ROUND
- SET DECFLOAT TRAPS
- SET BIND
- Provider executes ALTER SESSION RESET before reusing of the connection. Example
- The new connection initialization properties were added:
In addition to the above, we have significantly improved the existing functionality.
Therefore, it makes sense to upgrade even if you are not yet planning to move to FB4 or are working with InterBase.
Additional notes on FB4
We do not recommend that you abuse the SET BIND operator, which has a number of serious problems.
We recommend that you use FB4 version 188.8.131.5284 or higher.
If possible, use a direct connection (fb.direct) instead of fbclient.dll.
As you probably already know, we have effective automatic functional and load testing systems that are kept up to date and work around the clock.
For FB4 we have expanded existing tests and added new ones.
For example, for the FB4 database with the third dialect, the standard set includes 744194 tests, which run in ~27 hours on a 10-core processor (or in ~270 hours if run sequentially).
For comparison, for FB3 this set consisted of 703935 tests, which ran in ~13 hours.
We are testing:
- Debug(!) and release binaries (32/64 bits, vc17)
- Direct connection and connection via fbclient.dll
- Working with databases of dialects 1 and 3
- All possible modes of the built-in FB client. It is running more than 30 thousand tests in various combinations.
Therefore, we do not expect any problems in IBProvider.
We have added a couple of new licenses that will allow you to help more actively to the development of our projects:
- One Year Business License
- Two Years Business License
If the development of our solutions has become critical for your business, these are the licenses for you.
Above we have presented arguments that will help you make a decision about moving to a new level of our long-term interaction.
Regardless of the license type, we value each of our user.